It’s that time of year again: The GHI Annual Meeting is just around the corner. On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 7:30pm, the Annual Meeting will commence. Elections for the GHI Board of Directors and Audit Committee will take place during the annual meeting, as well as the presentation of member agenda items. Here are some upcoming dates to mark on your calendars:
- Tuesday, March 10: The Nominations and Elections (N&E) Committee makes their first announcement of candidates
- Thursday, April 9: Members may propose an agenda item by petition to Secretary Ed James or GHI office
- Tuesday, April 28 at 7:30pm: Candidates’ Forum in the City Council Room, Greenbelt Municipal Building
- Thursday, April 30 by 5:00pm: Candidates must submit consent forms (found here) to GHI office or N&E Committee member
- Thursday, May 5: Final deadline for candidates to submit nominations by written petition
- Thursday, May 7 at 12:00pm – Wednesday, May 13 at 12:00pm: Members may pick up applications for absentee ballots at GHI office
- Wednesday, May 13 at 12:00pm: Deadline to submit applications for absentee ballots
- Thursday, May 14 at 7:30pm: GHI Annual Meeting at the Community Center Gym; read about Roberts’ Rules of Order here.
- Thursday, May 14 after meeting and Friday, May 15 from 7:00-10:00am & 5:00-8:00pm: Polls open
- Friday, May 15: Election results announced
For complete information, see the GHI Elections page and the Candidates’ Packet.
You probably know that GHI’s 2019 Annual Membership Meeting is almost here! Do you know how to make sure that your vote is counted if you cannot attend the meeting?
The meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 9, 2019. Check-in begins at 7:00 p.m. and the meeting starts at 7:30 p.m. in the Greenbelt Community Center Gym (15 Crescent Road).
If no member in your household (a person listed on your Mutual Ownership Contract) can attend the Annual Meeting, you can give your proxy to another GHI member who will attend. That member can register your vote on business matters and elections conducted during the meeting.
Get a proxy form at the GHI management office by Thursday, May 2, 2019.
Proxy forms must be submitted by one of two deadlines:
May 2, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. to the GHI management office or
May 4, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. to GHI Board Secretary Ed James (56-D Crescent Road).
Absentee ballots are another way to participate in elections if you cannot attend the Annual Meeting but they DO NOT record your vote for/against motions.
For example, at the 2018 meeting, members were asked to vote on a motion to protect GHI woodlands. You could NOT register your vote unless you were physically in the room or submitted the paperwork to give your proxy to another member who was in the room.
Why pass up a chance to use your voice?
See you at the meeting!
NOTE: This post was updated to clarify that forum broadcasts are handled through the City of Greenbelt’s cable station, not GATe. My apologies for the error!
It’s time for GHI’s 2019 Candidates’ Forum! Listen to and ask questions of the candidates running for positions on the Board of Directors and Audit Committee.
Tuesday, April 30, 2019.
7:30 p.m. Continue reading “Save the Date (Tuesday, April 30, 2019): GHI Candidates’ Forum”