On August 6, 2020, the GHI Board of Directors returned to their discussion of the member’s request that audiovisual recordings of meetings be made available to members. This was originally placed on the agenda for the July 9, 2020 meeting (read more here). The decision of the Board was that the General Manager would request a legal opinion from GHI legal counsel. This discussion was brought back to the Board after the legal opinion was obtained. Continue reading “Board Meeting, August 6, 2020: Member’s Request for Audiovisual Recordings of Meetings to Be Made Available to Members”
I attended the virtual Board of Directors meeting on July 9, 2020. Since the stay-at-home order in March, the GHI Board of Directors has been holding their twice monthly meetings via Zoom. As with in-person meetings, all GHI members are invited to attend the Open Session meetings. I have attended in-person meetings in the past, but this was my first virtual meeting. I’ve compiled a list of positives from my experience and some suggestions I think would improve the meetings. Continue reading “Opinion: My Thoughts on Attending a Virtual Board Meeting”
At the July 9, 2020 GHI Board of Directors meeting, the request for audiovisual recordings of Board meetings to be made available to members was discussed. Currently, the virtual Zoom meetings are recorded but deleted after the minutes are taken. This is also the same practice for the audio recordings of in-person Board meetings, which is done at the advice of GHI legal counsel.
After a brief discussion and some questions, it was proposed that General Manager Eldon Ralph discuss this further with GHI legal counsel as a first step. The proposal passed, and the General Manager will move forward with this discussion.
Members United has explored this topic in the past with a member survey. Click here to read the results and here to watch the live stream results. Check back on MembersUnited.net for further updates on this topic.
Of note for the July 9, 2020 Board of Directors meeting is an agenda item previously explored by Members United: that audiovisual recordings of the Board of Directors meetings be made available to members. Since the stay-at-home order began in March, Board meetings have become virtual; Zoom meetings have been made available for Board members and GHI members alike. The quick action to do this by GHI allowed our cooperative and Board to remain up and running, while providing members with a virtual platform to be involved while staying in their homes. Continue reading “This Week’s Board Meeting: Request for Audiovisual Recordings of Board Meetings to be Made Available to Members”
The GHI Nominations and Elections Committee is still accepting candidates for the 2020 GHI Elections. Members can run for Board of Directors, Audit Committee, or Nominations and Elections Committee. The following positions are available:
- Board of Directors: 4 positions with 2 current candidates (as of 4/13/2020)
- Audit Committee: 3 positions with 3 current candidates (as of 4/13/2020)
- Nominations and Elections Committee: 5 positions with 4 current candidates (as of 4/13/2020)
The May 14, 2020 Annual Meeting has been postponed; this means that the deadlines for candidacy applications have also been postponed. Applications will be accepted up to 14 days prior to the Annual Meeting (rescheduled date TBD). See the GHI website for more information and to get the candidate’s packet: https://www.ghi.coop/content/ghi-elections.
GHI has announced on their Facebook page that tonight’s Board of Directors Meeting (March 19, 2020) will be held via conference call. Read the post below for more information (Credit: Greenbelt Homes Facebook page).
Link for conference call: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/536171877
Credit: Greenbelt Homes Facebook page
It’s that time of year again: The GHI Annual Meeting is just around the corner. On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 7:30pm, the Annual Meeting will commence. Elections for the GHI Board of Directors and Audit Committee will take place during the annual meeting, as well as the presentation of member agenda items. Here are some upcoming dates to mark on your calendars:
- Tuesday, March 10: The Nominations and Elections (N&E) Committee makes their first announcement of candidates
- Thursday, April 9: Members may propose an agenda item by petition to Secretary Ed James or GHI office
- Tuesday, April 28 at 7:30pm: Candidates’ Forum in the City Council Room, Greenbelt Municipal Building
- Thursday, April 30 by 5:00pm: Candidates must submit consent forms (found here) to GHI office or N&E Committee member
- Thursday, May 5: Final deadline for candidates to submit nominations by written petition
- Thursday, May 7 at 12:00pm – Wednesday, May 13 at 12:00pm: Members may pick up applications for absentee ballots at GHI office
- Wednesday, May 13 at 12:00pm: Deadline to submit applications for absentee ballots
- Thursday, May 14 at 7:30pm: GHI Annual Meeting at the Community Center Gym; read about Roberts’ Rules of Order here.
- Thursday, May 14 after meeting and Friday, May 15 from 7:00-10:00am & 5:00-8:00pm: Polls open
- Friday, May 15: Election results announced
For complete information, see the GHI Elections page and the Candidates’ Packet.
The following email was sent by GHI on Thursday, December 27, 2018 announcing a vacancy on The Board:
|GHI Board of Directors Seeking to Fill Vacant Board Member Position
Mr. Paul Kapfer will be resigning from the GHI Board of Directors with effect from December 31, 2018. The Board thanks Paul for his 1½ years of service as a Board member. His contributions will be greatly missed.
In accordance with GHI’s bylaws, the vacancy resulting from Mr. Kapfer’s resignation shall be filled by the remaining membership of the Board, until the next annual meeting of the membership.
GHI members who are interested in being considered for the position should inform GHI’s Management Office, no later than January 14, 2019. This can be done either by submitting your names in writing via e-mail to email@example.com, regular mail or in person to Cashielle Nelson at GHI’s Management office, 1, Hamilton Place, Greenbelt, MD 20770.