The GHI Nominations and Elections Committee is still accepting candidates for the 2020 GHI Elections. Members can run for Board of Directors, Audit Committee, or Nominations and Elections Committee. The following positions are available:
- Board of Directors: 4 positions with 2 current candidates (as of 4/13/2020)
- Audit Committee: 3 positions with 3 current candidates (as of 4/13/2020)
- Nominations and Elections Committee: 5 positions with 4 current candidates (as of 4/13/2020)
The May 14, 2020 Annual Meeting has been postponed; this means that the deadlines for candidacy applications have also been postponed. Applications will be accepted up to 14 days prior to the Annual Meeting (rescheduled date TBD). See the GHI website for more information and to get the candidate’s packet: https://www.ghi.coop/content/ghi-elections.
It’s that time of year again: The GHI Annual Meeting is just around the corner. On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 7:30pm, the Annual Meeting will commence. Elections for the GHI Board of Directors and Audit Committee will take place during the annual meeting, as well as the presentation of member agenda items. Here are some upcoming dates to mark on your calendars:
- Tuesday, March 10: The Nominations and Elections (N&E) Committee makes their first announcement of candidates
- Thursday, April 9: Members may propose an agenda item by petition to Secretary Ed James or GHI office
- Tuesday, April 28 at 7:30pm: Candidates’ Forum in the City Council Room, Greenbelt Municipal Building
- Thursday, April 30 by 5:00pm: Candidates must submit consent forms (found here) to GHI office or N&E Committee member
- Thursday, May 5: Final deadline for candidates to submit nominations by written petition
- Thursday, May 7 at 12:00pm – Wednesday, May 13 at 12:00pm: Members may pick up applications for absentee ballots at GHI office
- Wednesday, May 13 at 12:00pm: Deadline to submit applications for absentee ballots
- Thursday, May 14 at 7:30pm: GHI Annual Meeting at the Community Center Gym; read about Roberts’ Rules of Order here.
- Thursday, May 14 after meeting and Friday, May 15 from 7:00-10:00am & 5:00-8:00pm: Polls open
- Friday, May 15: Election results announced
For complete information, see the GHI Elections page and the Candidates’ Packet.
Tuesday’s June 12, 2018 work session between the GHI Board and Audit Committee saw the boardroom filled beyond capacity with members interested in the conversation.
What follows are my personal and unofficial highlights of the meeting. I refer to all members who spoke as “GHI Member” because I could not capture every name. My post may contain unintentional errors so please post any corrections, clarifications or amplifications in the comments section for the benefit of all readers.
The purpose of the meeting was how the Board, Audit Committee, and General Manager can work together to forward GHI’s best interests on behalf of our members and cooperative. The meeting focused on these topics:
Topic A: The Audit Committee’s access to “all books and records of the Corporation” per GHI bylaws and the Maryland Cooperative Housing Corporation Act.
Topic B: How the Board and General Manager will accommodate the Audit Committee’s requests for access to GHI books, records, and activities (observing inventory count, etc.)
Topic C: Does the Audit Committee have a role in Member Complaints Process
Continue reading “Notes from GHI Board/Audit Committee Work Session”
UPDATE: GHI has posted the meeting agenda and related documents here:
Mark your calendar and plan to attend this important work session between the GHI Board of Directors and the Audit Committee.
June 12 (Tuesday) @ 7 p.m.
GHI Administration Building Board Room
1 Hamilton Place, Greenbelt, MD 20770
(!) Why it matters The meeting will address the debate about how much independence the Audit Committee has to access GHI’s records while performing its oversight duties. The meeting will also examine whether the Audit Committee should be involved when members want to file complaints against the Board and/or GHI staff.
Continue reading “Updated: Don’t Miss Tuesday’s GHI Board/Audit Committee Work Session”