On July 25, 2019, the GHI Board of Directors passed a motion to establish a task force to recommend a succession and emergency backup plan for the General Manager position. This task force is scheduled to have their first meeting on Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 6:30pm at the GHI Administration Building.
Why this Matters:
- The General Manager position is essential to the proper functioning of a healthy cooperative.
- While the Board of Directors has the authority under the GHI Bylaws to:
“Appoint, assign the duties of, and determine the salary of a general manager, who shall assume administrative control of the business of the Corporation” (see Article V, Section 4 on p. 10 of the bylaws);
The Membership, at membership meetings, has the responsibility under the GHI Bylaws for:
“determining policies of the Corporation” and for “exercising final authority on all matters vitally affecting the Corporation” (see Article IV, Section 9 on p. 8 of the by-laws)
The GHI Bylaws may be found here.
Questions to Consider Regarding Succession:
- How will the Task Force and Board of Directors solicit input from the membership regarding the qualifications and experience the membership wishes to see in the next General Manager?
- What should be the scope of the search for the next General Manager? (local, regional, nationwide)
- What is the anticipated time frame for the membership meeting to determine the succession policy? (May 2020?)
- As part of this succession policy, should the membership have the opportunity to meet candidates for the General Manager position prior to exercising the final authority, at a membership meeting, on the Board’s choice for the next General Manager?
Let Your Voice Be Heard:
- Attend the first Task Force meeting on Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 6:30pm at the GHI Administration Building and share your thoughts, or
- Attend one of the two scheduled GHI Townhall Meetings and share your ideas on succession planning:
When: Sunday, December 8th at 2:00 pm and Thursday, December 12th at 7:00 pmWhere: Greenbelt Fire House, 125 Crescent Road, Greenbelt, MD